For a healthy life, Vitamins and Minerals are one of the key essentials. They play vital roles in our body as they have to perform many functions. We must know the appropriate amount of nutrients to be taken and must not end up having too much. The ideal way to get suitable amount of nutrients in our body is by having a healthy diet.
In our bodies, there is a regular production of skin, muscles and bone. For proper function of body, it needs some essential nutrients as well as oxygen. Atleast 30 vitamins, minerals, and dietary components are required by our bodies to function appropriately. Both the vitamins and minerals play significant roles in our bodies as they shore up bones, heal wounds, and boost our immune system. Other key functions are conversion of food into energy along with repairing of damaged cell.
Vitamins and minerals are also known as micronutrients as only tiny amounts are needed. Some of the common diseases caused due to vitamin deficiencies are as follows:
- In earlier times, sailors used to have diseases named Scurvy, as they have to live for months without fresh fruits or vegetables. These fresh fruits and vegetables are the main sources of vitamin C which led to bleeding gums and listlessness of scurvy.
- Due to deficiency of Vitamin A, there are still several developing countries, where people become blind.
- Due to the deficiency of vitamin D, many people suffer from rickets. In this condition, people suffer from soft, weak bones which will lead to skeletal deformities such as bowed legs. If you are looking for strong bones then some of the key requisites are calcium, vitamin D, vitamin K, magnesium, and phosphorus, as they prevent bones against fractures.
There are also water-soluble vitamins having watery portions of the food and get absorbed directly into the bloodstream, as maximum part of the body consists of water.
- Biotin (vitamin B7)
- Folic acid (folate, vitamin B9)
- Niacin (vitamin B3)
- Pantothenic acid (vitamin B5
- Riboflavin (vitamin B2)
- Thiamin (vitamin B1)
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B12
Vitamin C are water-soluble vitamins have to perform several tasks in the body and helps in freeing the energy found in the food. There are several Vitamin B components that help in releasing energy from food. For energy production, Thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, and biotin are required, whereas for building proteins and cells, Vitamins B6, B12, and folic acid are required.
Our body requires and stores large amounts of the major minerals. In our body, there are few major minerals that travel through the body such as Potassium. Potassium gets quickly absorbed into the bloodstream and circulates freely. It is excreted by the kidneys, like a water-soluble vitamin.
Some major minerals are:
What They Do
Some of the key tasks of these major minerals is the maintenance of the proper balance of water in the body. Sodium, chloride, and potassium are some of the major minerals. For healthy bones, there are three other major minerals—calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium—are important for healthy bones. Sulfur helps in stabilizing protein structures and plays vital role in the healthy development of hair, skin, and nails.
There are huge number of foods that are both healthy and tasty. It would be advisable to fill up your plate with fruits, vegetables, quality protein, along with other whole foods. Thus, you will end up having a colorful, versatile, and good food for you. Hence, we must take appropriate care while having our food to lead a healthy and good life.